An Achievable Dream is partnering with the Peninsula Community Foundation on Give Local 757, an exciting fundraising event where “everyone can be a philanthropist.” For 24 hours, beginning Tuesday, May 5th at noon online donations may be made to An Achievable Dream through the GiveLocal757.org website. Donations may also be made in person at any Langley Federal Credit Union Branch or at the AAD Corporate Office, 10858 Warwick Boulevard, Suite A in Newport News. (Please note: checks should be made payable to the Peninsula Community Foundation with “An Achievable Dream” written on the memo line.) The minimum donation is just $10!
Donations raised during Give Local 757 will be used to support three of our students, members of the En Pointe Dancers, as they attend a two-week Summer Intensive Dance Program with the Joffrey Ballet in New York City, one of the most prestigious dance companies in the world. The girls were chosen following a region-wide audition and were among the few accepted from a large group of dancers. During this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, they will take a variety of classes taught by world renowned choreographers and master teachers, and will dance alongside members of the Joffrey Ballet. The cost of attending, including tuition, travel and housing, will be in excess of $10,000, not possible for their families. Additional funds will support all En Pointe Dancers as they compete regionally and nationally this spring and summer.
Money raised through Give Local 757 from noon on May 5 to noon on May 6 may be increased with matching funds and prizes donated by local companies. Some of the prizes include:
- The Bay Port Credit Union First Donation – First nonprofit to receive a donation wins $500
- Early Bird Prizes – The first 4 nonprofits that reach $1,500 in donations will win $500 each.
- Lunch Time Prize – Highest # of donations between 12 noon and 1 PM on May 5 – $500
- The 7:57 PM Prize – Nonprofit that receives a donation closest to 7:57 PM on May 5 wins $500
- 757th donation – Nonprofit that receives the 757th donation wins $500
- The Midnight Hour Prize – Nonprofit that receives the donation closest to midnight on May 5 wins $500
- The 7:57 AM Prize – Nonprofit that receives a donation closest to 7:57 AM on May 6 wins $500
- Morning Commute – Highest # of donations between 7 am and 9 am on May 6 – $500 to that nonprofit.
- Grand Prize – The nonprofit with the highest # of unique donations will win the grand prize of $2,500.
Two of our teachers, Liza Smith and Janniece Haughton, have dedicated their time and considerable talent to helping AAD students find joy and possible career paths through dance. After several years of sponsoring the En Pointe Dancers club at the Academy, the pair opened Dreams in Motion Dance Studio in downtown Newport News last fall to provide additional instruction and continuing dance classes for older students who have moved on to the middle and high school. Both teachers volunteer their time, instructing dance classes nearly every evening and on Saturdays.
Please support our dancers and make dreams come true by donating to An Achievable Dream through www.GiveLocal757.org from noon on May 5 to noon on May 6.